Thursday, March 11, 2010

They shyness struggle

This was not something I have ever experienced. Something I never really thought about. And although not my personal struggle, it has become such a part of me. If you would have said anything to me about Paige being shy during her toddler years, I would have laughed it off. She was a social butterfly, smiling at old men and waving to anyone who would glance her way. She continues to have a deep heart for people, and a special way of making others feel special. But somewhere, between the stage of "no one is a stranger" and "stranger danger," Paige became this shy, sensitive little girl. There is nothing wrong with either of those things...and we have actually come to love both attributes, as it is who she is.
But, I admit, I struggle with knowing how to help. I struggle with how far to push her out of her comfort zone without crushing her spirit. A balance all parents face in different ways, I suppose. The past two years have been full of difficult situations where we try our best to encourage and support her, yet have a fear of how the outcome will effect her. For example, it took her a full year of attending our church before she would go to her Sunday School class. We debated many times how far to push her. Do we force her to go, or allow her to sit in church with us? We opted to not force the issue, but encourage her when possible.

But lately, in the last few weeks we have noticed growth. Small rays of hope that she is creating her own coping skills for this and embracing this aspect of who she is. After 14 months of being at our church, she will now smile at (and sometimes even speak to) people we see there each week. Until recently, she would give them a strange look or bury her face in my leg. MANY friends at church have commented that she finally seems to be coming out of her shell.
Every day since she started school, our drop off routine has been the same. I drive her and we go through the same line, get out at the same door and are greeted by the same person. Since August, her PE Coach has greeted her at the car each morning saying, "Good morning, Paige!" And as much as I have encouraged her and modeled for her how to respond, she says nothing! Until last week! She actually said, "Good morning" back to him! I drove away with tears in my eyes. I know these examples sound so simple...so basic. But for Paige, these show tremendous strength and growth!
I can only imagine the internal struggle she faces each day as she figures out this shyness thing. I have grown a lot in my processing of it all, and have come to realize that she will find her own ways to show the world her heart of gold! Sometimes, all I can do is support those little efforts and embrace the baby steps! I am just so thankful we are seeing baby steps! And even more thankful that we found a house that will allow her to remain at the same school...it will make the toddler steps come easier. If anyone has faced this with their kiddos and has wisdom...I would love to hear it!
And I almost forgot (yeah, right...my mind is constantly thinking about it!). We should find out a week from today what the gender of our newest critter will be! Paige is going with us and we are all anxious to "see" our newest family member.

1 comments:

The Carlson Chronicles said...

I struggled with being shy as a child. For me, I'm not even sure it was that I was shy, but I was quiet and kept my thoughts to myself. I remember my Mom always telling people I was shy...in front of me...and I wonder sometimes if that was HER way of dealing with me being quiet (as she was always very outgoing). I think you are doing the right thing and building her confidence by encouraging her, but not pushing. Oh...and can't wait to read about the gender of your newest addition!! Congrats on the house, too! Lots going on for you!! Exciting!