Wednesday, July 8, 2009

on this day...

we were wed!
9 years ago today, I married my best friend! After 9 years, I am still daily amazed at the way God created us for each other and orchestrated our relationship. I will never forget the night we met! I had just arrived on the campus of Spring Arbor College...a foreign land, unfamiliar faces, a huge scar on my neck from my thyroid surgery, a heart still breaking for the daughter I had recently said goodbye to, tons of uncertainty, yet an unbelievable calm in my spirit as I knew without a doubt SA was where God wanted me. My new roommate, Amanda forced me to go to an all campus party to meet some people. I dreaded it. I was the third wheel trucking along with her and her boyfriend, Cody. (Also makes me laugh that now they are two of our closest friends!)She introduced me to SO many people that night. Michael was different. He was vibrant and energetic (some things will never change) and the conversation flowed so naturally. Once we discovered we were both from NY, there were endless connections. I told Amanda that night that there was something in store for our future. I sensed he was special in some way and couldn't wait to know him better.
**Sorry about the picture quality...it's a really long and boring story. I hope to get the good ones added eventually.

After months of never-ending conversations and truly becoming best friends, he finally gave in and agreed to date me! 9 months later, we were engaged. 7 months later, on July 8, 2000 we were married! I have had many amazing experiences in my life, but that day is by far the greatest day ever! I will never forget the moments leading up to my procession down the aisle. I could hear Amanda singing and watched as my dearest friends began their walk down the aisle in support of us. I was standing with my dad in tears, thanking Jesus for Michael. Thanking Him for bringing me through so much to be rewarded with a companion that was far better than my dreams could comprehend! If we had chosen to have dancing at our reception (we were both well-raised Free Methodist kids and agreed to follow the rules), the song you hear would have been our first dance!
The day was so fun! I loved having so many special people in one place. Some who had known us as children, some who joined our journey later but were integral in bringing us to this day, some were family, some had sat with me during the darkest moments of my life and were there to finally rejoice with us. A day full of love!

We have been through many seasons of life together. We've laughed from deep joy during the happy seasons, prayed as if our life depended on it during uncertain seasons, cried when there was nothing else to do during tough seasons. We are far from perfect and we have MANY more years ahead to learn how to love one another even better...and we will!

Last weekend we took an overnight trip to Charleston, SC. I L-O-V-E it there!!! If I were a photographer, I would spend days and days just taking pictures of doorways and alleys. Everything is so quaint and classy! We spent the day downtown walking and talking and pretending we were dating.
After checking-in to our hotel, we headed to a 3 hour dinner cruise along the coast of Charleston. The event itself was peaceful, relaxing and refreshing. All night we kept talking about old memories and had lots of laughs. I love being married to my best friend and knowing that it can only get better. I love that we are still IN love with each other. I love that God put us in each other's life at the perfect time and continues to hold our hands as we take this journey of life together!

5 comments:

Little Bird said...

I remember that day so well! We love you guys and we are so thankful you found your way to each other! :)

The Carlson Chronicles said...

Awww! Congratulations on 9 years and best wishes for many more to come!!!

The Rice's said...

Congratulations!! You looked so beautiful! I can't wait to see more pictures!!

Rachel said...

That's awesome!! Built upon the rock of course!!!!

Wen said...

What an amazing story! God is so good!