Wednesday, January 21, 2009

New definitions

For the 6 years that I worked as a school social worker in NY, "SNOW DAY" was the greatest phrase I remember hearing. I was fortunate that the school I worked for was in a walking district, so we had more "snow days" than most. Don't get me wrong...they didn't happen often. That doesn't mean we didn't get snow...we got TONS of it! That didn't mean it didn't get cold...it was frequently bitter cold. The kind of cold you lose your breath in and are afraid to open your eyes. The standards in Rochester were that schools closed when the temperature (including wind chill) hit -20! Once in a great while we would get a "snow day" due to lots of snow, but that was very rare! I'm not sure what was better...watching the 11 o'clock news at night to find out we would be closed the next day, or getting that blessed phone call at 6am telling me to stay home..."SNOW DAY!!!" Either way, if you or a family member works for a school system, you know the indescribable feeling I'm talking about when you hear those words.

Well...apparently there are different definitions of a "snow day" and clearly very different requirements down here in the south. We received a call from Paige's school yesterday morning stating that there would be a "SNOW DAY" today. Paige got excited about the prospect of playing in the snow again. As I peered out my window, I was VERY confused. NO SNOW! Then last night, Michael was sent home from work early..."in case the weather gets too bad." Peering out my window yet again...more confusion. The forecast was calling for "POSSIBLY UP TO 1/2 INCH OF SNOW" today. A few words seem critical there...POSSIBLY, which tells me it may or may not happen. UP TO...which tells me there could be quite a bit less. 1/2 INCH...which is simply NOTHING when discussing snow around me.

So, here I sit peering out my window again on this "snow day." Mind you, it is probably the coldest day since we've been here...35. But the sun is shining, the roads are dry and there were about 5 snowflakes in the air last night. I guess I need to adjust my definitions...and fast! For all of you NY'ers...I'm crossing my fingers that you're getting your fair share of "snow days" this year. If you do, go out and play in it for Paige!!!

3 comments:

Kelle said...

Ha! That's hilarious! Okay...when I see snow here, then I'll know it's a miracle! We have 43 degrees today, which is FREEZING for south florida!

Stacey said...

Being from the South and currently living in the frozen tundra of Minnesota, I understand about the how the definitions differ! Tell Paige that Trevor is playing in several inches of snow today, and it will surely be here until April at least.

Anonymous said...

I know what you mean about the excitement of snow days. When I was teaching, I would get the phone call but then I would stay awake to hear it on the radio. I always had trouble falling back to sleep due to the excitement that I could sleep in. So far we (I mean Dirk and Kaitlyn's schools) haven't had any, yet. But it's COLD!!!

Barb