Saturday, December 13, 2008

Memory-Packed Day

Yet another day that I would willingly have over and over again!
If we were still living in NY, today would have been our annual outing to "Breakfast with Santa" at a local place with my sister and our two families! They went ahead without us this year...I guess they figured the commute wasn't worth waiting for us. And we found a "Breakfast with Santa" right around the corner. Initially Paige was hesitant of the big man, but Nathan was eager to jump right up. He was quite willing to babble his desires to Santa...even if Santa was a little confused when all was said and done!
Eventually, Paige warmed up enough to sit on his lap, but never did offer any ideas as to what she is hoping for. We missed sharing that memory with our NY family, but the four of us enjoyed the time together.
As promised...the cookies have begun!! Paige and I spent Nathan's nap time baking cut-outs! She was more interested in sampling, but we got the job done. Cookie making was more nostalgic this year, probably because we are far from "home." As I was rolling the dough and helping Paige cut the shapes, I was reminded that we were doing it all on the same exact table my mom and I used to make cookies on...years ago! (Note to self to dig up a picture and scan it so you all will believe me on this one!) My folks gave us the table when they purchased a new one 5 years ago...that table is OLD!!!
Also nostalgic because my Aunt Joyce has always been the baker of the family. Whether it be pies for Thanksgiving or cookies for Christmas, Aunt Joyce always pulls through! She tries every year to tell us she is too old and can't do it anymore...yet she always does! It's ok if someday she decides to "retire" her baking career...that just means others need to learn the trade. I am well aware I will never bake like she does, but I will sure try! I will also try to build the love for it in my daughter. So while we roll and cut and bake, we talk about these very special ladies and how much we love them. Somehow the tradition of it all seems more important now that we are far away. Thanks, Mom and Aunt Joyce for all the traditions and memories you began so long ago that I can now share with my kids!!!

1 comments:

Jackie K. said...

Elissa! It brought tears to my eyes, what a great tradition to share with your daughter! We miss you and wish we could sample one of your cutout cookies! I love the pictures with Santa!