Wednesday, March 26, 2008

An old, but renewed hobby!

I used to enjoy reading. A few things changed that. For 2 years during my graduate work I spent countless hours reading. Not enjoyable reading. Reading that HAD to be done in order to survive my classes each day. After that, books were the last place I could find solace and relaxation. Then I became pregnant for Paige and it seems that pregnancy brings out the desire to read in all new moms. I wanted to know everything! Within the first few weeks of her life, I lost that desire, too! I quickly realized that no matter what book I read, it said something totally different from the last and no matter which piece of advice I listened to, it didn't seem to work for my daughter. I learned early on that each child comes with their own manual...and it is not one that you can study and learn ahead of time. It is a manual created by the child each day of their life. Once I realized that and stopped looking for answers to why she screamed for 20 hours a day, why she didn't poop for 10 days straight...life became so much more peaceful. I simply waited for her to write that page of her manual for me! So, it has been a while since I have simply wanted to read. That changed while I was on my training trip in January. I read 2 entire books over that 3 day trip! I have enjoyed Nichols Sparks in the past, so I finished one of his. Then, walking through the airport, I came across Jodi Piccoult's "The Pact." WOW! I have heard of her before, but again, haven't had the desire to read. I finished that book so fast and have now become an addict. So, if any of you have discovered this hobby of reading, I encourage you to try her stuff!

0 comments: