Tuesday, April 13, 2010

remedies and picnics

I knew about 2 weeks ago when I verbalized to a friend how long it had been since Paige was actually ill that I had most certainly guaranteed the arrival of illness. To be honest, the fact that she has not needed to see a doctor other than well-child visits since before her second birthday has always been surprising to us! But we ended that streak this month. After almost a full month of her coughing, we finally took her in 2 weeks ago. She was prescribed some inhalers to use to clear the "gunk" in her lungs. Easy fix...or so we thought. This weekend it was clear that not only was she not getting better, but new symptoms were introducing themselves and she was simply not herself. We had a follow-up appointment yesterday and came home with a whole new treatment regimen. The "gunk" in her lungs was still audible and concerning. On top of that she has an ear infection and strep throat. Poor little girl! I will never forget when our first pediatrician told us that, because of her early battles with severe reflex and learning to live in pain, she would probably have a high pain tolerance and not know to tell us when she was hurting. We learned that the hard way this week! So she has been resting and laying low...and taking lots of medicine...

She has been home from school for two days...which gets old for everyone! I came home from work tonight and suggested we pack a picnic dinner and head to the ocean. Paige had other ideas. She heard "picnic" and remembered the 2 times we have had one in the garage...there was no debate.We had a family picnic...in the garage! I love how she remembers things and wants to recreate them over and over. It was certainly not what I had envisioned when I offered to have a picnic, but we were together and that was the whole point. My favorite part of the event, you ask. By far it was this... Our little "sickie" praying for our dinner. She has grown up so much. Gone are the days of "routine" prayers where she repeats one she learned at preschool or simply thanks Jesus for our food. She has graduated to full-blown prayers. Sometimes she amazes us when she prays, truly grateful for every little thing. She love to thank Jesus for "this wonderful day," and her "wonderful family," for "giving us a baby," and...lest we forget what is truly important, "my LEAPSTER!" I love watching her heart grow and learn to love the things God blesses her with.
And then there is Nathan...

our sweet little boy who has made it his full-time job to copy and imitate EVERYTHING his big sister says and does. Slightly annoying to her, but adorable to watch how much he loves her. Despite illness and unexpected locations for picnics, we are finding the joy in small things!

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! How precious my grandkids are! Our Lord is doing a beautiful work in Paige's heart already! How I thank Him!
Dear, dear Nathan. He certainly is a very memorable child - what fun and unashamed joy he is. . .to everyone he meets! ! !