We tried to keep it a total secret until the morning we arrived at the park. When a snowstorm hit us in the South (and reminded me of the #1 reason we are glad to live here...usually no snow!), it changed our plans a bit. As we were pulling into the resort area, there were Mickey and Minnie signs to greet us, so we had to tell them early. Nate had no true concept of what we meant by "Disney World," but Paige was excited!

Within a minute of unloading into our hotel room, Paige was off to organizing her dresser drawer and claimed the computer table as her own.

While Nate opted to make the walkway a sprint zone.

Our trip was multi-purpose, as Sunday morning (Valentine's Day) was also Nate's third birthday. What better way for him to spend his day than meeting Mickey!

Once we were settled, we spent the evening at "Downtown Disney." The kids loved the Leggo store! Sunday morning, after a small birthday celebration, we headed to Magic Kingdom! I honestly think my excitement may have been stronger than the kids. I have been there a few times, so I knew what to expect. But I was also so excited to see my kids explore and enjoy the adventure! The Monorail ride was full of giddy laughter.

I could create the "World's Most Longest Blog Post" including each pictures, because I enjoyed it that much. But I will pick a few favorites to share a bit of our adventure. Nathan LOVES the Toy Story movie, so meeting Woody was a highlight!

It was pretty busy since most Northern schools were on break, but we made the most of it. Paige and Daddy loved the "Magic Carpet" ride.

I still can't believe our "baby" is THREE!!!

The line to meet Tigger and Pooh was the longest wait we had the whole visit. Surprisingly, the kids did great with all the waiting. It was almost like the joy of simply being at Disney took over the boredom of standing around.

There were a lot of these moments...

when my heart felt so completely full by simply watching them love one another. Look at that face, he ADORES his big sister! The whole time we were there I kept telling Mike that nothing in the world compares to seeing your children have so much enjoyment. I know Disney is this "fantasy" place that makes every day life seem so distant, but we soaked up every moment of it. I have been feeling so disconnected lately. From my kids, my friends, my family back home, even my faith in some ways. I have been so caught up with the craziness of work, that it threatens to consume me most days. I needed this little escape from reality to refresh my heart to know that I am connected...to all of those things I have feared losing. My focus and balance have been off, but all of the core priorities I hold on to are still there, and this magical adventure reoriented my heart and mind.

This was another one of those moments. Nate has loved Mickey for well over a year now. ALL day he kept asking when he would meet Mickey. Once we finally survived the line and he saw Mickey, he went running to embrace him. He could have stayed there all day!

It was a similar feeling watching Paige meet and talk with her favorite Princesses! For a 5 year old girl to actually sit next to and talk to these ladies was the highlight of her year! She was almost too excited and shy to speak, but she LOVED it!
Then it was off to find a spot on Main Street to watch the fireworks and parade. Paige stole the crowd with much dancing in the street.

Paige LOVED this hat, and later had her face painted as Minnie Mouse to match!

And we left with only one flesh wound! Poor Nate waited slightly impatiently for his turn on the "Buzz Light Year Ride." Upon loading the car, a staffer slammed the bar down without warning Michael, and Nate left with a bummed eye.

Management was great and gave us a few "Fast Pass vouchers" for any ride. We opted to steer clear of the Buzz ride. We are watching our mail to see if management decides to compensate his pain in even bigger ways.
I could write countless stories of their expressions and constant joy. I could write a novel on how my heart nearly exploded on many occasions just from watching them enjoy the adventure. I had a much better understanding of the sacrifices my parents' made when we were kids to find any little thing that would make us smile and bring us joy. It is worth every sacrifice...the money to make it happen, the bickering in the backseat of the car over who's turn it is to pick a movie, the extra hours at work to have enough time to take days off, the exhaustion of both kids as we made the long trek back to the car at 10pm, hearing them ask for the thousandth time already when we will go back to Disney. Those days of joy make it all worth it because we made memories no one can ever take away. I fell deeper in love with my kids...

2 comments:
Congratulations on expecting. I haven't kept up with your blogs I guess. We're going to disney in April and can't wait. What excitement for the kids and adults! Charlie was a baby when we last went and he is the most excited!!
Jackie
Jackie just told me yesterday that you guys are expecting. I am so excited for you. We miss you guys so much. It looks like the Lord is taking good care of you all. Come visit when you can or we'll be forced to come see you, and that won't be good for anyone.
Blessings
Mike
Post a Comment