Something about the nights finally being cool (funny how 70 seems cool to me now), the month about to change, my parents arrival nearing and the candy corn our family has become addicted to that makes me feel homesick. I thought I may miss living in the North when Christmas came around. I did for the sake of being with my family and continuing life-long traditions. Yet, I did not miss the weather or the common outdoor themes that come with winter (Well, ok...I missed the annual Christmas tree hunt in the woods). But the fall truly makes me homesick. Here are a few things I L-O-V-E about Fall (most of which don't occur in our new world)...
*Those early evening strolls around Irvington, Wesley and Berry when the sun is starting to set and there is a chill in the air. There is some excitement about wearing sweatshirts for the first time in a few months.
*Watching as the leaves on the trees slowly explode into this amazing rainbow of Fall colors...reminding me that ALL things have their time and purpose. That God created ALL things for a reason with such intricate detail and design...which leaves me awestruck!
*Warm apple cider drinks outside in the starlight
*Going to the orchard to pick our own fresh Empire apples...
*Then going home to bake homemade apple crisp. The smell would linger in our house for a few days if we were lucky. Within 5 minutes of taking it out of the oven we throw a small scoop of vanilla ice cream on top...HEAVEN!
*Although I was never a fan of the actual raking of said leaves, I did love playing in them. Particularly watching my kids play in them!
*Going to the local pumpkin patch to hunt our perfect pumpkins for the year, then staying for a bit to enjoy fresh apple cider and still-warm doughnuts...only the powdered sugar ones would do!
*Walking to the Roberts campus to take in some soccer
With my windows open (we can finally turn the air off), "OCTOBER" showing on my wall calendar and the realization that in less than 24 hours I will be hugging my Mom and Dad...I am nostalgic tonight. Nostalgic and homesick. Eager to share this new home with the people I love, yet missing some really special parts of the old home that can never be fully duplicated. And all at the same time, looking forward to continually recreating those memories for my kiddos in new and unique ways!
What do you love about fall?
12 years ago


1 comments:
Hi Elissa,
I can't believe it's taken me this long to make the connection, but I have another friend who works for Bethany in South Carolina!! She's the lead staff person in the Greenville office, her name is Jeanette Maxey, and we're friends from college!! Have you met her?
Love, and praying for the job,
Sarah
Post a Comment