Friday, September 25, 2009

All is well tonight

In my never-ending attempt to re-create and newly create new traditions for my kids, I am finding a new surge for it lately. I think the reality that Paige now spends more of her time with strangers than she does with her own family has made me seek for ways to make the most of the time we have. So, tonight was the second week of "Family Movie Night" at the Viele homestead...except a MAJOR part of our family is never home before 8:30, so the title is somewhat misleading.
I'm not sure why I didn't start this tradition say, um...8 months ago when Mike's schedule became insane! I guess part of the delay is because we just don't watch much TV here, and partly because Nate has just not been ready to watch a full movie. There are still many movies that are beyond him, and he loses interest quickly. But tonight was not the case. It was the big reveal of "Toy Story 2" and he was glued to the tube! (Wait until he finds our there is a #1 and a #3 to be in theatres soon!)
We go all out...each kid gets to pick a candy of their choice, we make popcorn and we make a big "bed" on the living room floor with blankets and pillows for all. It will never cease to amaze me how much joy kids get from simple things. After popping a bag of popcorn (I didn't' even make the real thing) and giving them a treat you would have thought they had gone to heaven! Michael has the morning off tomorrow...can you believe it...two Saturdays off in a row?? So, we intend to partake in our favorite tradition of all...early morning at the ocean! I'm refreshed simply thinking of it!

3 comments:

Kelle said...

i love this tradition! they look so into it! i love doing little things that thrill our littles. and, yes...who woulda thunk? popcorn and candy goes a long way. but...i think they just like to be with us. xoxo

Wen said...

We just did the same thing last night! That is so funny! And Jordan loved it too - especially the popcorn! He ate it by the handfuls.

Kelly said...

Sounds like fun! I love the first picture!!