Sunday, June 7, 2009

Our weekend of PARTYING!

At 4:01pm, Paige officially turned 5 years old! I'm confident in saying she enjoyed her weekend tremendously, and proud to say that this was the first of her birthdays that didn't bring me to tears. I think it's something about her personality and development right now. I just felt "ready" for her to be 5. I would love to pretend she isn't, but I was proud to celebrate her big day...and that we have done!


Saturday was her "friend" party. We gave Paige a few choices for her party, and she quickly opted for "Build-a-Bear!" She got to choose three friends...and it was a great time! We started at the house...a little behind schedule.
Friends were supposed to arrive at 1, and around 10:45 Nathan fell and ended up with a pretty bad slice in his chin. I debated for two hours whether or not he needed to go to the ER. As friends were arriving, one of the mom's told us it had happened to her son and that the ER wouldn't stitch it even if we went. So, we have been applying butterfly bandaids (with MUCH assistance from Nanny as open flesh and blood are not my strong points as a mom). It looks much better today, but it certainly rearranged the day yesterday. Thankfully, he is SUCH a trooper and no one would have ever known except for me!
So, closer to 2 we finally started the party. After a year of telling everyone she wanted a "Dancing Princesses" party this year, she opted for Safari animals when it came time for the decision. I guess that fits with her obsession with animals, right?


Then it was off to make some bears! What a great choice that was! The kids had such a great time and the end result...well, who doesn't love a stuffed animal? They were patient as we waited in a rather lengthy line to get our animals stuffed...We allowed each of them to choose one piece of clothing (had a little whining about that, but we had to set limits). I don't think anyone left sad! Paige chose a puppy and it has taken permanent residence in her bed...along with the million other animals she cares for. Today we went out for brunch with Nanny and Papa. Paige and Papa share their special day, so it was nice to celebrate together. They took us to a great Country Club for a buffet overlooking the golf course. (You'll notice the bandage on Nate's chin...I think this will become a theme for him)After another great afternoon at the pool, we had a family celebration for Paige and Papa.
They joke that I was kind enough to "hold-out" delivering her in order that they could share their special day. I wish I was that noble a person, but if you saw me pregnant for Paige, you know that I would have opted for ANY day sooner. BUT, I'm thankful it worked out the way it did. It makes today even more special that she has someone to share it with!


There is NO DOUBT...our little girl is growing up! We see her seeking and achieving more independence daily, and it makes us proud! There will always be a part of us (any parent, I think) that would love to shrink her down and keep her little forever, but the joy of watching her become this amazing person is so much better so we embrace it and cheer her on!

3 comments:

Wen said...

I always echo your sentiments! It is so fun to watch them grow - but very bittersweet!

Tracy said...

I remember the day!!
Sounds like a great weekend! That cake looks wonderful, did you make it?? Our card will probably arrive today, sigh, I just couldn't get my act in gear on time. Give that girl a big squeeze from us!
Today Josh is 13! They do grow sooo fast, don't blink, lol.

Lisa said...

SO happy she had a great day!!!!!!!!