I figured that after the initial months in a new place, I would find myself missing things in New York less and less. The reality is, it has almost been a year and the last few weeks I have missed things more than ever.
I miss our old neighborhood...
I miss Spring-time visits with neighbors who have been cooped in their cozy houses all winter long.
I miss knowing our neighbors.
I miss walking our old neighborhood at night and making a quick stop at the local video store to get a free movie for the kids to watch.
I miss our house...
I miss the great backyard with huge old trees.
I miss our big driveway where Paige created her first chalk art projects.
I miss the creaky spots on the living room floor.
I miss Paige's big pink bedroom that gave us an afternoon escape from the routine of "downstairs."
I miss friends...
I miss sitting at work and catching up on daily events. (NOT saying I miss the work part...just the friends)
I miss going to coffee just because.
I miss sharing dinners at each others homes with kids all over us.
I miss knowing people beyond surface levels.
I miss our church...
I miss seeing familiar faces.
I miss the heritage that came with being in one place for so long.
I miss being involved with teenagers and sharing that journey with Mike.
I miss knowing where I fit in and feeling comfortable.
I miss my sister...
I miss her kids!
I miss watching our kids play together for hours on end without a moment of discontent.
I miss regular phone calls for no particular reason.
I miss last minute weekend dinners with our two families.
I miss the ability to visit in person whenever we felt the urge.
I miss my family...
I miss unexpected doughnut visits with my folks.
I miss large extended family gatherings with way too much food.
I miss watching my "little" cousins (who I babysat as a teenager) play with and love my kids.
I miss hugs from the people I love the most.
I guess overall, I am missing all things familiar. With all the "family" holidays recently and those approaching, it makes me miss "HOME." I'm so thankful for telephones, snail mail and computers...but sometimes it doesn't satisfy my longing heart. Our trip North in July can't come fast enough!
12 years ago


1 comments:
We are missing all of you too!! We hope we can catch a few moments of your visit in July!
Hugs to everyone!
Happy Mother's Day!!
Post a Comment