Friday, February 13, 2009

OUR BABY IS 2!!!


It is impossible for me to comprehend that it was two years ago today we welcomed Nathan into our family. He brings so much joy and laughter to this house I can't imagine life without him. My friend, Kelle wrote out her daughter's birth story a few weeks ago. (if you have not peeked at her blog, PLEASE take the time...she is amazingly gifted in her photography, writing, creativity and is simply just an amazing person!) I have written Nate's birth story a few times in journals, but thought it was fitting to share it here today in honor of his special day. Not to worry...I'm leaving out explicit details!
I'll begin by saying that my doctor said from day one this would be a big baby. Paige was just over 9 pounds, and they assumed this little one would be that, or more. As my pregnancy progressed, concern heightened about just how big Nathan would be. I was due on February 21. At my check-up on February 13 my doctor agreed that it was time to induce me. That was never a question. Being my third birth, we all knew that my body doesn't do the process on it's own. Induction is mandatory.
Initially, we were somewhat skeptical of a Valentine's Day baby, but I was more ready to be done with the pregnancy than to bicker about the conflict of a "silly" holiday. Now Mike is thankful because he doesn't have to search for the perfect gift each year...2007 takes the medal and always will!
We had planned for Paige to spend our hospital stay time at my sisters. After hearing multiple weather reports of a huge snow storm on its way, we opted to take Paige to my sisters the night before. We ended up with over 2 feet of snow in a span of one day. We almost didn't make it to the hospital that morning.
I remember that drive vividly. It was almost creepy...very few cars anywhere to be seen, conditions were atrocious, I was so eager to hold this little person, yet fearful of the process. I don't think it matters how many times you go through it...there is an uncertainty and sense of helplessness that overwhelms me. There is a dull sadness knowing that within a few hours (HOPEFULLY) this little person will no longer inhabit my body, but will be independent and free. No longer safe and protected from the world we live in. Yet, the anticipation of seeing this person drives you and dominates all of those fears.
Mike and I arrived at 7:30am and met with my doctor. As a side note...he is the most amazing OB that ever existed!! He discharged me from the hospital after I gave birth to my first daughter. He made such an impression on me that I switched to him in 1998. I will never find a doctor so calm, soothing and supportive...EVER!!! At my last appointment with him last May, I asked if he would consider moving his practice to the Myrtle Beach area.
At 9:45am they started me on pitocin. Lots of women fear that drug and avoid it at all costs. I must be strange...I beg for it! I remember having conversations with Mike during this stage. We were so ready to hold this baby. We kept watching out the window in amazement at how quickly the snow was falling. They broke my water at 10:45...in case I wasn't clear earlier...my body does none of this on it's own! I think my babies would remain in utero until eternity if they were given the choice. My doctor made it very clear to the nurses after breaking my water that he was to be called the instant my condition changed because I have a history of going pretty quickly and he was very concerned about the size of the baby. The nurse laughed like she thought she knew better...like it would be many more hours. Another side note...I love 99.9% of my nurses...just so happened the the one I wasn't terribly pleased with was my delivery nurse. Go figure! I can always tell when I'm just about ready to go because I start to consider an epidural. I have yet to have one...only because that humongous needle terrifies me. I've always said that I will take it when the time is right, but thankfully it hasn't happened. Just as I start to say it may be time to consider the drugs, my nurse tells me I'm at 10. This is where my memory gets fuzzy. Based on what I can recall and what Mike remembers, about 6 residents/interns swarm the room. My doctor calmly saunters in and agrees it's "go time!" Within minutes I'm pushing and ready to go. At 12:48pm, Nathan Charles entered the world weighing 9 lbs. 11 ozs. and 22 inches long.
There was nothing out of the ordinary, nothing unique about his birth...except that he was ours! The overwhelming sense of love and protection you feel over this little life. We inspected every square inch of his body. We both agreed immediately that he looked exactly like Mike.
We had opted with both of our deliveries to be alone in the delivery room. There was a sense of sacredness to it and we wanted that time to share together before we shared it with the world. This time around brought a whole new reality to that due to the weather. The conditions were so poor that no one was able to travel to the hospital that day. As excited as we were to show off our new baby and have him meet his sister, we welcomed a full day of no activity. We knew that once we went home, we would forever be juggling two kids and the demands of life. For that day, we simply soaked in every moment of Nathan. We never even left the hospital room. We wrote memories on the walls of our hearts that can never be erased. I was secretly thankful for the snowstorm outside!

Now, two years later I am amazed that the love that seemed to be bursting that wintry morning is still growing. How is that possible? How are we capable of a love so deep and strong that it truly changes who we are? How can one little person create so much joy that the problems of life seem silly after you hear him laugh? How can a smile from him make me forget the stress of the tasks ahead? I can't explain how it happened or what it really feels like. I can only say that I love this little man more every day...that he stole a part of my heart I never knew existed. I can't wait to see what the next year holds for our little man! We love you so much, Nathan and thank God every day for giving us the honor of being your family!

0 comments: