Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Making an effort {on the blog and in life}

For the sake of my family many hundreds of miles away, I realize I need a bit more discipline in my updating of this blog. Either that, or some extra time in my day but since I ask for that often and never get it...I suppose I have some work to do.
I'm pretty certain I am in the longest stretch of time not seeing someone from my family since our move in 2008. Mix that with the many family memories connected to this time of year and Easter...I'm homesick. I could go on for a lengthy post, but I will leave it at that and acknowledge that our planning for a summer trip North could not go fast enough.
I've mentioned *many* times on here about my struggle for balance. Sometimes it's balancing the chores of home vs. work. Sometimes it's balancing the priority of church vs. daily life stuff. Sometimes it's simply balancing the needs of three children who all need, deserve and are worthy of more time than I have to give. But lately...on top of all of those things, I've been struggling with the balance of need vs. want. Realizing that our society crosses that line frequently and teaches our children that basic needs are absolute and that all the desires of their heart {whether appropriate or lofty} are something they are entitled to. Yet, every day at work I see the faces of children and families suffering. Infants who will only survive if given proper medication and nutrition. Truly orphaned children who deserve a family to love them and meet their every need, yet they are slowly dying as they wait in orphanages around the globe. My heart breaks to see the "norm" in our society becoming the total opposite of what I believe our God desires of us. Meet that with the constant battle of trying to parent for Him...and not for this world. I don't want my children to live the standard of "norm" our society pressures on them. I want them to be burdened for hurting people and intentionaly live differently. And they will only do that if it is modeled for them. So, we are trying to be intentional and find a good balance in the simple daily things of our lives.
The balance thing {along with the homesick thing} was particularly difficult on Easter this year. I am all about traditions. My parents created great traditions for us as children, and we still hold to many of them. But this year, the comercialization of Easter {which is the most foundational event of my faith} truly bothered me. It's not about fancy new dresses...although they are nice. It's not about the size of the meal, or what the Easter Bunny brings you. And yet, when I did a Google search for "Easy Easter crafts" to use in Sunday School, all I found were pages of things relating to bunnies and chicks. NOTHING about the Savior who died and rose again for EVERYONE.
I guess the pain it creates in my heart is necesarry to make an effort to change it.
With all that said, we down played the commercialization of Easter this year. The kids had a small egg hunt at their Nana & Papa's house on Saturday, and they did have a small scavenger hunt with clues on Easter morning. We died all of 5 eggs to give them that tradition. But no hoopla. No new frilly dresses. Lots of discussions about crosses and how heavy they are, what it means to die and come back to life, and why Jesus would willingly walk that path for US. We had a casual dinner at home with friends. It was perfect {although my heart was aching to be with my family as I'm sure they put napkin rings on their ears and retold stupid stories of past gatherings}.
My Dad questioned Samantha's stance in the above picture. What can I say? There are three of them, two of us and a camera. The two "bigs" know the drill. She is 20 months old, very quick, very active and very much intent on doing only what she wants. I was thankful to have a picture with all three in the shot! I can't tell who is growing faster...but I would like all 3 of them to stop while I catch my breath.
I am looking forward to a quick trip to Michigan in a few weeks. Hoping to see some of "my girls" while I'm there. Hoping that being in that state eases a bit of my homesickness, as it is like home to me there. I'm also hoping it doesn't snow. My body would never adjust. In the meantime, we will continue to seek out God's balance for our life, making an effort to be sure the scales tip strongly in His favor and embrace the lessons along the way.

0 comments: