Tuesday, September 6, 2011

And, it begins...

Yet another school year has thrust itself upon us with it's demand for routine, structure and chaos. Although there is something so restrictive and forced about the start of a new school year, it also brings with it the sense of potential and normalcy. A chance to do above and beyond what we did last year and to prove to ourselves we can accomplish great things. The return to a {somewhat} predictable routine always brings with it a few weeks of craziness at our house. And, it begins...








Paige actually started school on August 22...2nd grade to be exact.

We were geared up and ready for our typical "3 week adjustment phase" filled with complaints, excuses, anxiety and many tears. I'm not sure if it is the familiarity with the place, feeling like she has friends or just an overall maturity that has developed over the summer, but Big Sister has proven us wrong...AGAIN! I was purposefully not posting about her amazing start, because I somewhat thought it would jinx me to write how well things were going. But, 3 weeks in I am confident that Paige has shown us all how brave and confident she is. She walked into school on the first day with an entirely new attitude.

She has been blessed with an amazing teacher. She reminds me of my first grade teacher, Mrs. Rogers. What a blessing! We can't keep our supply of books up to date for her, as she insists on reading nightly for long periods of time. Don't get me wrong...I know the day will come when she doesn't want to do her homework or she fakes illness to stay home. I welcome those normal and expected moments of childhood. But I am so peaceful and thankful knowing she is in such a better spot this year. I can't wait to see what this year holds for her.

Today was a huge milestone for our little man. Nathan started preschool today!!

We all went to open house a few weeks ago so he could meet his teachers {the same 2 amazing women Paige was blessed to share a year with in 2008}. Although somewhat apprehensive this morning before we dropped him off, Nate has been ready for this day for a long time! He was so brave and walked into the room as if he had done it 100 times prior. And when we picked him up, he was full of stories and asked how much longer until he could go back.

Tonight our dinner table was overwhelmed with preschool songs we had nearly forgotten about. And my heart was happy thinking about all the new experiences he has ahead of him this year and the potential for friendships, learning and growing. I've always said these big milestones are harder on me than the child. Today, even though I had sadness for how quickly time has brought us to this point, it was Daddy who faced the most sadness. And I was reminded again that although our current family structure may not be normal in our society with a stay-at-home-Daddy and a Mommy who works full-time, it certainly brings benefits. My son has benefited from so much attention and affection from a Daddy who loves him. Their bond is unique and special. {Slight disclaimer on the pictures...it is nearly impossible to get a shot with Nate looking at the camera. He just wont' do it.}
And the youngest of our crew is not going to know what hit her next week when schedules are full-swing and she is an only child every morning. Samantha is growing like a weed and proving to be our spunkiest child. Sweeter than peaches, no doubt. She is on the move at all times. Walking along furniture and taking a step or two when she decides to. It wasn't until I looked at this picture tonight that I realized how quickly she is changing and growing. I see her daily, but when I looked at this picture, I had to look twice. Sometimes when I look at her I still see the little baby girl that joined our family last summer. Not much of that baby is there anymore. Hair has grown, teeth popped through, cheeks are chubbier, smile is even bigger and eyes are brighter. I find myself clinging harder to each milestone with Samantha. Willing the days to slow so I can cherish each stage a bit longer. It never works. They grow and change and I am more amazed at each of them and in love with who they are at every corner. And, it begins...a fresh start with so much potential!

0 comments: