In other words...Dedication Day for Samantha Grace!! Some choose to baptize, others do nothing. It's a personal choice, really. Dedicating our kids to God is more about our intentions and hopes as parents and not so much their personal faith decision. If you know us, you know that our deepest desire {or at least I would hope you know} is for our kids to grow to love Jesus and live their lives for Him. But we don't believe it is our decision. We play a huge role in it, by our example and our words. But we want their faith to be just that...THEIRS!!! If they claim to know God based on our relationship with Him, it is not personal and significant to them. So, instead of baptizing them, we dedicate them to God, promising to raise them by His Word and to teach them about His love. It allows them to make their personal commitment at a time when they are ready and puts responsibility on us. And we fail...DAILY. But in our failures we believe they can learn to know the grace and forgiveness of our Heavenly Father, drawing them closer to Him.
We were thankful to have Mike's folks and brother with us to share in the day. We certainly sensed the absence of my family and the Harp's. I tried to get Greg to travel for the event, with no avail. At the same time, we were thankful to be surrounded by our new church family. These people know how to love deep...especially when it includes a cute baby! And how appropriate that Campbell dedicated her ,{our pastor in the pic with us} and was the first of 2 people to ever see Samantha. He and Justin were headed out together the morning I was induced, and Campbell wanted to stop in to offer support and prayer...assuming I would be in labor a while. They literally walked in the delivery room no more than 20 minutes after Samantha was born. Justin reminded us of this after her dedication and decided he will make that announcement one day at her wedding. Such great people we get to do life with, I tell ya!
Baby dedications have always been emotional for me. They bring me back to one of those raw moments in my life where I clung to God with all I had left, which didn't feel like much at the time. Almost 13 years ago, in a quiet hospital room, with only 3 other people present, I dedicated my first born to God. Choosing to return to Him the gift He had given to me, knowing His plans are always better than what we can create on earth. I knew that placing her for adoption was what was best for her, but a few hours before I said goodbye I asked my pastor and his wife to come so I could dedicate her to the Lord. I didn't understand all that was happening in my life at the time, but He had brought me to a place of total trust and I knew she belonged to Him first. With each of my kids, their dedications have meant exactly that. Acknowledging that they are gifts God gives us {not a belonging that we are somehow entitled to}, and desiring to put Him above all else. To trust that whatever He has in store for them {the good and the bad, because we know there will be both}, is for His purposes. To daily strive to show them more of God and love them deeper, all the while knowing His love is perfect and totally enough.
12 years ago


2 comments:
I am sad to miss that incredible moment in your family! She is so beautiful, we can't wait to meet her!
Hey Liss -who is Justin who along with Pastor Campbell visited you
when Samantha was born? Mom
Post a Comment