Although I worked in the public school system for 6 years, I am not technically a teacher. As a school social worker in a Special Ed. building, I learned quickly that one major facet of my daily work was to "teach" and support parents. Looking back at my first few years of that role makes me chuckle. Not only did we not have children at home yet, but I was far from a parent dealing with school-related issues. Talk about the blind leading the blind.
Don't get me wrong...I don't think I created any problems with my lack of personal experience. Many of the families I worked with were looking for any help they could find in managing their children. I may not have known the reality of living with a child who suffers from extreme Asperger's, but I sure empathized with them and made it my mission to show support and determination. The past three weeks of living life as a parent of a student has made me reflect on those early years.
The one conversation I had with EVERY parent (well, the ones who were willing to talk to me after they heard my title...something about "SOCIAL WORKER" makes parents cringe and assume I'm there to take their children away) was in regards to advocating for their child. So many kids in Special Ed. get lost in the system because they don't have a parent who advocates for them...someone who fights for their best interest no matter what others think of them. Many times my role became supporting them and boosting them up enough to find the ability to advocate...to learn how.
I have spent that last three weeks advocating for my daughter, and pulling from the lessons I once taught others. In some ways, it was public and loud, like when I contacted members of the school board expressing concern over the large number of children in the class. Or the many phone and e-mail conversations I have had with her teacher to discuss Paige's daily activities and attitude. In other ways, it was very private and quiet, like when I held her many nights during our bedtime routine as she sobbed on my shoulder begging to stay home the next day because she has no friends. Or the countless times I have wept aloud in private pleading with God to work in the midst of the mess.
We are still unsure of the end result. I received an e-mail from the Superintendent of Schools (I'm still not sure if it is a good thing that she has my name and e-mail so early in our career with this school) stating that a new kindergarten classroom will open on Monday. We are hopeful Paige will remain with her current teacher. If they attempt to move her, that will force the next stage of advocating!
I questioned many times during my tenure as a school social worker why the Lord had me there. It was not a job I loved. I didn't have a passion for it. It was not a position I felt strongly called to, but I always knew I was there for a reason. I wonder if one of the reasons was for Paige. For this season we are enduring right now. Maybe I needed to be there to help others learn how to advocate in order to know how myself. I will probably never really know. I do know that every fiber of my being wants to make everything better for her. To build an excitement for learning and a confidence to endure. To see her fulfilled with life...even the seemingly insignificant parts like having a friend to play with during recess. It has been three weeks of baby steps, toddler tumbles and baby jumps where our feet remain on the ground...but it keeps getting better each day. She is finding her way in this huge world called "The Education System of the USA!" I never realized how faith-building it would be as a parent!
12 years ago


0 comments:
Post a Comment