Sometimes things are more predictable than I seem to realize. Take for instance, Paige's reaction to change. Since the second of the moment she was born, she has not adjusted well to change. And I'm not just talking major life changing change, but every little difference. Temperature, texture, sound, smell...EVERYTHING gets noticed! When we introduced a "paci" we tried at least 7 different kinds before she was willing to settle on the one she liked. When we introduced bottles, I swear we purchased EVERY brand and style we could get our hands on before she settled on one that worked. The list goes on...moving to the crib, then moving to a big girl bed, welcoming her little brother, the move South. All of these transitions were met with great hesitation, testing and tears. And typically, the transition took exactly three weeks. Is that strange, or only strange that I can remember the timing of it all? For almost every big adjustment, once we hit the three week mark it meant we had passed the hurdle.
So it should have come to no surprise to me that starting Kindergarten would be no different. The first three weeks of school were, to say the least...rough! Today marks a full month of school behind us. I can hardly believe it has already been a month! Why was I surprised the past 5 days when things went smoothly? There have been NO tears! There have been NO complaints of, "I don't like school," or "I don't want to go back there." NOTHING!!! In fact, Tuesday she got in the car babbling with excitement that she now has THREE friends and knows their names. It may not seem like a lot, but if you would have heard the pain in her heart just a week prior you would realize it is truly a miracle! So true to form, Paige battled against change for the first 3 weeks of school and seems to have successfully jumped the hurdle to what we hope to be a great year of Kindergarten!
She's been asking me since the first day of school to come and eat lunch with her. I had no idea what that entailed, but we had agreed that when she had a few good days (no tears or refusing to go to school) we would celebrate with a lunch date. Yesterday she got her reward! I never realized how many parents have lunch with their children. Needless to say, after a few short minutes of observing the situation, Paige looks at me and says, "Why didn't you bring me McDonald's?" Apparently, most parents received a memo that when you visit your child for lunch, you bring them McDonald's. OOPS!!! Daddy will be the hero on this one, as his turn is coming up next week and I'm quite certain he will have found that memo!
12 years ago


4 comments:
I'm SO glad she's doing better! Isn't it funny how each of our kids has their own traits that make them so unique, and only we, as parents know those little things about them!
I am glad to hear things are improving. It is no fun for anyone when they are having such a hard time adjusting. Sending you all hugs!
Chestnut Ridge has a policy that NO outside food can be brought in for that very reason. Thank you CRS!
Glad Paige is finally loving school.
Barb
Glad to hear that things are getting better for her. I have one who dislikes change as well. It can be rough on everyone involved!
Post a Comment